Tax Relief for Employees

It isn’t so commonly known that employees are able to claim tax relief on work related expenses. These are expenses that are incurred for work purposes and are not reimbursed by the employer. To get tax relief on these expenses a claim must be submitted to HMRC. This can be done using form P87.

Claiming tax relief

There are two ways to obtain tax relief on work related expenses;

  • Reclaim tax in the form of a tax rebate
  • Pay less tax on your earnings by claiming relief in your tax code

A claim can be backdated for the last 4 tax years and must have been paid on earnings to get a refund.

Types of eligible expenses

If you are employed under Pay as You Earn (PAYE), the typical types of expenses you can claim tax relief on are as follows;

  • Mileage/Travel
  • Professional fees
  • Uniform
  • Pension
  • Tools
  • Working from home
  • Flat rate expenses

If you would like to discuss your situation further to see if a claim can be made for any of the last 4 tax years please get in touch. 

AJN Accountants are specialists in helping contractors, freelancers and small businesses to save tax and time.

Please contact us for more information:

T: 020 3866 8951

Follow AJN Accountants on Twitter for regular updates.